HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 
 

 Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Barry



Posts: 524
Join date: 2010-07-25
Location: Ilford, Essex.

PostSubject: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:30 am

It's been a while but I thought I'd provide an update on my dance project which I've been working on for the past few years. It's turned out to be a much longer process than I first thought but I'm pleased to say that finally things are working out. Very Happy

For those who do not yet know of my work, I'm hoping to raise awareness through music on school-bullying and its effects using my own experiences as a victim of bullying for others to learn of the harm bullying can do.

My site gives details but basically I'm planning staged dance events with performances by dance school students to promote mainly 90s pop but will generally inlcude pop of the 80s/90s/00s and 10s....so anything from early Kylie/Jason period through Spice Girls, Steps, S Club, various novelty party hits eg Macarena, Amarillo, Mambo No 5 and so on thru to nowadays..... Same Difference Very Happy Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Pixie Lott, and more.

I'm hoping to be able to book Same Difference to appear in one or two of my events but this is just in the planning stage and nothing is definite....yet.

I'll update with more news......


Last edited by Barry on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.partydanceuk.co.uk
Hayley



Posts: 253
Join date: 2010-08-03
Age: 30
Location: Somerset, England.

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:44 am

Barry wrote:
It's been a while but I thought I'd provide an update on my dance project which I've been working on for the past few years. It's turned out to be a much longer process than I first thought but I'm pleased to say that finally things are working out. Very Happy

For those who do not yet know of my work, I'm hoping to raise awareness through music on school-bullying and its effects using my own experiences as a victim of bullying for others to learn of the harm bullying can do.

My site gives details but basically I'm planning staged dance events with performances by dance school students to promote mainly 90s pop but will generally inlcude pop of the 80s/90s/00s and 10s....so anything from early Kylie/Jason period through Spice Girls, Steps, S Club, various novelty party hits eg Macarena, Amarillo, Mambo No 5 and so on thru to nowadays..... Same Difference Very Happy Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Pixie Lott, and more.

I'm hoping to be able to book Same Difference to appear in one or two of my events but this is just in the planning stage and nothing is definite....yet.

I'll update with more news......

That's great news Barry...good to hear! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barry



Posts: 524
Join date: 2010-07-25
Location: Ilford, Essex.

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks Hayley....and I do love your siggy promoting the single Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.partydanceuk.co.uk
Hayley



Posts: 253
Join date: 2010-08-03
Age: 30
Location: Somerset, England.

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Barry wrote:
Thanks Hayley....and I do love your siggy promoting the single Very Happy

No problem & thanx...not long now ahhh only 1 week to go today lol! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alexxxh



Posts: 94
Join date: 2010-07-31
Age: 20
Location: Skipton near Leeds

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:29 pm

That is great news Barry and Im really glad you have been organising all this because I was bullied in
my last school too and it caused immense pain for me Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

The first time I saw SD performing in Butlins I called out to Sarah during a break between songs and told her that I was being bullied just like she was and then she put 2 thumbs up and smiled at me! Razz I love you I'm amazed she even managed to catch what I was saying let alone giving such a response to it! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wwww.Bebo.com/Ciara.H417
Barry



Posts: 524
Join date: 2010-07-25
Location: Ilford, Essex.

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:52 pm

alexxxh wrote:
That is great news Barry and Im really glad you have been organising all this because I was bullied in
my last school too and it caused immense pain for me Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

The first time I saw SD performing in Butlins I called out to Sarah during a break between songs and told her that I was being bullied just like she was and then she put 2 thumbs up and smiled at me! Razz I love you I'm amazed she even managed to catch what I was saying let alone giving such a response to it! Rolling Eyes

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that you've been through it, too. Bullies just don't realise the heartbreak they can cause. Sad
My experiences forced me to miss out many years of socialising and experiencing the sharing and being part of the music scenes I'm promoting in my work. It's been terrible being so isolated all through that period. Through my project I'll be able to catch up with those missing years and at the same time, educate society as much as possible about the great harm bullying can do to its victims.

I am funding the project myself, or to be more exact, mum is helping me, and I'm also looking into what is involved for my work to become a charity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.partydanceuk.co.uk
Hayley



Posts: 253
Join date: 2010-08-03
Age: 30
Location: Somerset, England.

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:00 pm

alexxxh wrote:
That is great news Barry and Im really glad you have been organising all this because I was bullied in
my last school too and it caused immense pain for me Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

The first time I saw SD performing in Butlins I called out to Sarah during a break between songs and told her that I was being bullied just like she was and then she put 2 thumbs up and smiled at me! Razz I love you I'm amazed she even managed to catch what I was saying let alone giving such a response to it! Rolling Eyes

Awww bless Sarah! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barry



Posts: 524
Join date: 2010-07-25
Location: Ilford, Essex.

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:03 pm

It's so good to see Sarah achieve her dream in spite of her experiences. The same thing happened with Jo O'Meara of S Club 7, her story was published in a local newspaper and Jo wrote me a letter in 1999 telling me certain things in confidence about how her bullying affected her then. She has been sort like a hero to me because of what she achieved with her massive S Club success Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.partydanceuk.co.uk
alexxxh



Posts: 94
Join date: 2010-07-31
Age: 20
Location: Skipton near Leeds

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:57 pm

My first 3 years in secondary school - well they were enjoyable at times but it never worked out totally
well and there were some things that I know were actually my fault that were potential part of what would have caused the bullying. pale silent

There has been a lot about my past that I have looked back on and regretted and just wished I had known better in
everything I did and how I behaved. I feel I have missed out on quite a lot from my childhood and early teen years which is why I like to do things that I am really too old for and that you wouldn't really find people my own age doing.
I am also concerned at the same time in case having this sort of attitude and trying to behave like this could get me into trouble or cause me to make a fool out of myself. Embarassed

It was nearly 3 years ago now since I actually realised what my problems were and what I had to change but I suddenly lost so much confidence at that point in time and couldn't do much to speak for myself.
The bullying continued in school and it hit me a lot harder then it had done before because I was more aware of the fact that the bullying was caused mainly by the way I had behaved before then! Crying or Very sad Shocked

My confidence was gradually building up over that last year I had in my old school and then I changed schools but it was also a fairly big change in my life too! Rolling Eyes

I love to perform whether it be singing, dancing, acting or anything in front of an audience. Im sure I've always loved the idea since I was really little but what also gets me down is that I hardly ever put it into practice much as a youngster and yet many famous people have started very young on whatever they do! I just didn't see the commitments to my passions that I would see nowadays, thats all! pale


Last edited by alexxxh on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Needed to add more to it!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wwww.Bebo.com/Ciara.H417
Barry



Posts: 524
Join date: 2010-07-25
Location: Ilford, Essex.

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:44 pm

I can so relate to a lot of what you have written about your experiences. Whatever the reasons there was no need for others to bully you - do not blame yourself and do not have regrets of any kind.

Like yourself I have missed out many years of experience and my project will help me to catch up on the things I have always longed for, and you are never too old to enjoy what brings you happiness. As an adult of many years I have yet to experience my first girlfriend and join in with all the uplifting cheesy music of the style I am promoting in my project. I cannot relate emotionally to those my age at all and I'm a genuine youth in terms of spirit and soul. You must carry on doing the things your heart has always longed to do, don't be concerned about what others may think....I have a motto in life - that is, do exactly what you want to do, as long as it's within the law and nobody is upset, then you are free to follow your dreams - and I'll support you all the way! Very Happy You are in control of your own destiny.

And you carry on performing in whatever way or style you wish...be a leader and let others follow, that's what I do.

Please feel free to pm me at any time.....and if I am able to help you along the way in terms of advice, providing a shoulder to lean on so to speak, or if you would like to become involved by performing in my events when things are finalised I would be only too pleased to have you along Very Happy

My signature reads 'Follow your heart to your dream, it will guide you well'. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.partydanceuk.co.uk
Barry



Posts: 524
Join date: 2010-07-25
Location: Ilford, Essex.

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:30 am

To describe what happened to me at school, my parents and I moved to a new area when I was 8 years old. Very shortly after I arrived at my new school I was picked on by 2 boys - they bullied me a lot of the playtimes by forcing me into a small gap behind a hut in a far-off part of the playground where nobody went, and they kept me trapped there for the whole playtime. I felt terrible especially because I wanted to mix with the other children to start making friends.

While I was trapped there I knew that nobody realised that I was missing and therefore there would be nobody to help me.....I felt so alone.

I won't go into too much detail as it would be upsetting for people to read, but eventually this situation resulted in my having severe panic attacks while I was being held in that gap.....this involved a fear of feeling sick / being sick. I didn't tell my parents or anyone about my ordeal through fear of the bullies finding out and making matters even worse.

I became unable to travel far from home even with my parents as home was a place of comfort away from the bullies and away from my fear.

On to secondary school....I was a nervous wreck by now and the bullies there picked up on my fragile state and I suffered tremendously as a result.

A while after I left school I went to a place to build my confidence and to get my life together. But, as before, I was picked on this time by adults who should have known better. After many years of being their 'target' I was forced to leave and I had to leave behind all my new-found confidence as I was getting on so well with being really popular there and I had started to sing to an audience there, by invitation.....I was forced to leave when all that I wished for in life was starting to appear on the horizon for the first time in my life.

After leaving, my confidence left me and my phobia got much worse....as a result I missed out on all the wonderful pop era of the music I am promoting in my project because I was unable to socialise and join in at any level with the music at that time. It was the pop I have always longed to share with others and everything has been bottled up for such a long time. I am still waiting to start exploring life and this is why my work means so much to me and I am not looking for funding, I want to finance it all myself (mum is helping me btw).

I would like to describe my project as a sort of 'musical monument' dedicated to those whose lives have been affected by bullying, to let victims know that they are not alone and to also make bullies realise the terrible heartbreak they can cause to others.

There is always a light at the end of the tunnel but the light that shines the brightest is the one that's within *you*.......you *will* succeed in your dreams because you were meant to!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.partydanceuk.co.uk
Hayley



Posts: 253
Join date: 2010-08-03
Age: 30
Location: Somerset, England.

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:57 am

Barry wrote:
To describe what happened to me at school, my parents and I moved to a new area when I was 8 years old. Very shortly after I arrived at my new school I was picked on by 2 boys - they bullied me a lot of the playtimes by forcing me into a small gap behind a hut in a far-off part of the playground where nobody went, and they kept me trapped there for the whole playtime. I felt terrible especially because I wanted to mix with the other children to start making friends.

While I was trapped there I knew that nobody realised that I was missing and therefore there would be nobody to help me.....I felt so alone.

I won't go into too much detail as it would be upsetting for people to read, but eventually this situation resulted in my having severe panic attacks while I was being held in that gap.....this involved a fear of feeling sick / being sick. I didn't tell my parents or anyone about my ordeal through fear of the bullies finding out and making matters even worse.

I became unable to travel far from home even with my parents as home was a place of comfort away from the bullies and away from my fear.

On to secondary school....I was a nervous wreck by now and the bullies there picked up on my fragile state and I suffered tremendously as a result.

A while after I left school I went to a place to build my confidence and to get my life together. But, as before, I was picked on this time by adults who should have known better. After many years of being their 'target' I was forced to leave and I had to leave behind all my new-found confidence as I was getting on so well with being really popular there and I had started to sing to an audience there, by invitation.....I was forced to leave when all that I wished for in life was starting to appear on the horizon for the first time in my life.

After leaving, my confidence left me and my phobia got much worse....as a result I missed out on all the wonderful pop era of the music I am promoting in my project because I was unable to socialise and join in at any level with the music at that time. It was the pop I have always longed to share with others and everything has been bottled up for such a long time. I am still waiting to start exploring life and this is why my work means so much to me and I am not looking for funding, I want to finance it all myself (mum is helping me btw).

I would like to describe my project as a sort of 'musical monument' dedicated to those whose lives have been affected by bullying, to let victims know that they are not alone and to also make bullies realise the terrible heartbreak they can cause to others.

There is always a light at the end of the tunnel but the light that shines the brightest is the one that's within *you*.......you *will* succeed in your dreams because you were meant to!

I know exactly what it's like & relate to it! Sad I still get flashbacks now after all this time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barry



Posts: 524
Join date: 2010-07-25
Location: Ilford, Essex.

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:16 am

I'm sorry to hear that you have been through similar experiences Hayley, bullies have a lot to answer for and hopefully my work will help others in the long run. Smile

I still have panic attacks but I do feel much better when I go out locally nowadays. I am afraid to eat a lot in case I feel sick and I would never go out of the house after eating, nor would I eat out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.partydanceuk.co.uk
Hayley



Posts: 253
Join date: 2010-08-03
Age: 30
Location: Somerset, England.

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:00 am

Barry wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that you have been through similar experiences Hayley, bullies have a lot to answer for and hopefully my work will help others in the long run. Smile

I still have panic attacks but I do feel much better when I go out locally nowadays. I am afraid to eat a lot in case I feel sick and I would never go out of the house after eating, nor would I eat out.

Yeah Barry, it just shows that the scars never fade away, doesn't it? Bullies do have alot to answer for! Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barry



Posts: 524
Join date: 2010-07-25
Location: Ilford, Essex.

PostSubject: Re: Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)   Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:08 am

Now a piece of positive news Very Happy ....there is a possibility of my being able to book Same Difference's backing dancers for my events while SD themselves are busy with promoting their new material. I've spoken on the phone this morning to somebody connected with the dancers and hopefully I should have more news this week, perhaps even later today...here's hoping Smile

I'm determined to get things moving at a faster rate now, and this idea could bring extra benefits all round Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.partydanceuk.co.uk
 

Update on my dance project - new development this morning :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 Similar topics

-
» Will there be any petrol left by tomorrow morning..
» ISHQ DANCE VIDEO DJMAZA.COM
» What Is Software Development?
» Future development!
» [A-1069] Slapt-get 0.10.2g Development

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Same Difference Official Forums :: General :: Off Topic Chat-